It never hurts to be civil.

Q&A By John T. Syrtash, Associate,
Garfin Zeidenberg LLP, a Toronto family law lawyer for the past 39  years.

Question: I have a one-year-old child with someone I no longer have a relationship with, not even a civil relationship. All our communication is done via email. He pays his child support on time, but I want something “legal” in writing from him. Do I have to go to court?


Answer: You can obtain a court order and alienate the guy. Or you can send him a friendly email – something like “Dear dad of your child with whom I don’t have a civil relationship. I attach a draft parenting agreement my lawyer prepared. What do you think? It never hurts to be civil. It doesn’t necessarily lead to dancing.

John Syrtash is an associate and family law lawyer with the Toronto firm of GARFIN ZEIDENBERG LLP.

John  T. Syrtash B.A. (Hon.) LL. background:

Invited Speaker on Bill 78, Proposed Changes to Canada’s
Divorce Act, House
of Commons  Standing Committee on Justice and Human Right
s  (November
26, 2018)
Editor of the Syrtash Family Law Newsletter, Lexis Nexis
President of the Syrtash Spousal Support Database
Author of Religion and Culture in Canadian Family Law, Butterworths
Author A Calendar of Northern Fables, Amazon

Neither GARFIN ZEIDENBERG LLP nor John Syrtash is
liable for any consequences arising from anyone’s reliance on this material,
presented as general information and not as a legal opinion.

John T. Syrtash,
Yonge-Norton Centre
5255 Yonge Street, Suite 800
Toronto, Ontario, Canada M2N 6P4
Cell:  (416) 886-0359
Fax: (416) 512-9992

#familylawfirmstoronto  #topdivorcelawyersintoronto, #familylawfirmstoronto


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top